Tuesday 5 May 2020

Helping hand during Pandemic



Helping hand during Pandemic

Prime Minister of India in his address to nation on April 14, requested to follow seven things:

1.     Special care of elderly
2.     Adhere Laksham Rekha (social distancing)
3.     Enhance Immunity
4.     Download Arogya Setu mobile Application to help/prevent spread of Corona virus
5.     Take as much as care of poor family
6.     Be compassionate towards the people work who with you, do not fire them
7.     Pay utmost respect to corona warriors

I realized; I am doing all seven points as much as I can. I am also helping a poor family (Watchman of our society and sanitation worker) Still I had feeling to do more for needy. I am also engaged with other grass root level NGOs, who are working for the relief of migrant workers.

During crisis people think of helping an unorganised sector. The sector which is not registered and no fixed terms of employment is called unorganised sector.  Such as migrant workers, plantation labour, handloom workers etc. OR we try to help underprivileged and vulnerable groups such as women and child, street / child labours.

I never thought of another section of society, who are also vulnerable during this pandemic- they are pandit/pujari (priests) of temples. They also do not get any salary, no allowances.  Yes, there are few temples, which are under Government control and they get reasonable benefits.

Nevertheless, a pandit from our area, who used to do home pooja and get some money for his family livelihood approached us.  Due to country lockdown for more than a month he could not get any earnings and was living on his savings. He sent a message to my husband’s cell phone as कृपया इस मुश्किल समय में मेरी मदद करें (please help me in this difficult time). Looking at this message, I realized how vulnerable is this group as well.   I transferred money to PM care funds, helped other needy sections of the society but never thought of priests, who are as much as vulnerable. I made online payment to Panditji, who’s only one son is special child and wife is home maker and NO other source of income.

I heard /learned from my elders ‘गुप्त दान के बारे में बताएं” (don’t tell about secret donation) but I am sharing my thoughts with a good reason. I hope, people should come forward and help needy and vulnerable section of society, as much as they can.

At the end, I recall Rahimdas Ji doha, studied in primary school😊
रहिमन वे नर मर चुके, जे कहिं माँगन जाहिं
उनसे पहले वे मुए , जिन मुख निकसत नाहिं ।।
रहीम










6 comments:

  1. Nicely penned your thoughts. Not only priests, there may be many others who may be in need and currently ignored. Probably if everyone thinks about it and follows the rule of " EACH ONE HELP ONE" the situation would be different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for kind words, I totally agree with you.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely right. There are many such groups of people self employed in certain unorganized sectors like laundry, plumbing, etc.. We usually forget about them.. Really appreciate your efforts in helping one such group n raising concern..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good write up Rashmi, you have penned down thoughts for many to consider and ponder.

    ReplyDelete